Tuesday, May 3, 2011

BBQ - Time to rebuild the Weber!!!

OK, time to rebuild the BBQ!  What is it, a gazzion years old???   I've done the easy stuff at least once, now the burners are toast... Wish I'da taken pics....

IT's a Weber!!! I can do this!!!!!!!  ...said Tim the tool man.... sigh....

It finally rusted out the flavorizor bars so bad one was laying in the bottom of the grill.... sigh... And more fell apart in my hands, and some almost did...  So I started to take it apart.... the pieces were easy... the burners... not...

They were rusted completely out.. the crossover tube to light the other back burners was rusted in 1/2, and the back burner was falling apart, rusted out... sigh..

..So I got to it... the fasteners that held the front and back burners, looked rusted... got out the chisel and hammer... not good,  drill... no good, so got the vice grips and destroyed the burners, which was not hard...  and finally got the two wing nuts holding the gas manifold on after oil and big pliers and bending the crap outta them, galvanic corrosion, dissimilar metals, they don't like each other and will weld...

OK... RTFM!!!!!!!!! sigh... the fasteners were studs, the instructions said leave them alone... I hate that, sigh...   Got 'er done!!!  Old crap out and cleaned up!

Ordered some new stainless hardware from Amazon...  $130 and I get a new Weber!  I looked around and it would cost MUCH more for junk, and I'd have to assemble it and get rid of the old one!!  THBBBFF!!!!!!!!!!   ( The correct way to spell the raspberry by Beetle Baily a long time ago cartoon)

The new burners...  and igniter...
The lower bars...



The upper bars...


Tried to clean up the grill a bit....

Even cleaned up the tray!!!  THAT was the biggest pain!! The burned on smoke and grease on the left was tough!!!    

I could buy new trays for the left of the BBQ, my old fart friend did it but the ugly wood still works....... but that's over the mark....

Ran it up to over 500 after cleaning the grates and some Pam spray for "cleansing" and then sprayed again and cleaned 'er up again!  Those bars are Not shiney any more!!



Hey!  It all works... even took the thermometer out and cleaned all the crud off the sensor point!!   .... now if it can only improve the cook..... sigh!!!!  GBG  Love Ya all!!!  Lots and lots!!!   Dad 

No comments: